Skip to content

Schloss Karnzow

Castle 2

In 1944, Count Konigsmarck,  the owner of Castle (Schloss) Karnzow,  was asked by the director of the Kunsthalle Museum in Bremen,  to hide a collection of stolen Holocaust art in his castle fifty miles northwest of Berlin. All the best paintings were removed from their frames and stored behind a false wall. The Soviet army eventually found the paintings and took some of them back to the Hermitage museum where they remained until the 1990’s. One of the paintings was a Goya.

Published inUncategorized